I play in a local, non-professional, not concerned with fame and fortune, but wanting to exercise our God-given talents, band. I recently asked these questions of our not-ready-for-primetime group. I’m curious to know how your up-and-coming ensemble would answer them and, if you’re part of a successful musical venture, how you may have answered them in the past.
- How do we move from “playing instruments” to “making sound”?
- How much are we “studying” the music that we would list as our influences?
- We are all capable of writing and contributing to the music, lyrics, etc. How often do you nurture that creative process in yourself? How can we nurture that in one another?
- How can we stretch ourselves and each other to create and incorporate new ideas in order to make our music unique?
- In what ways can we each change what we do in order to “carve out” space for the other instruments in the mix?
- How much time do you spend (mentally or physically) experimenting with your instrument? (sound, style, technique, etc.)
Please comment below. I would love to hear from you!